Preparing for a career outside of academia: Policy writing and research communication
Workshop at the Swedish Institute of International Affairs (UI)
December 5, 2023, Stockholm
Researchers are increasingly needed in functions outside of academia, such as in think-tanks, government organizations, and international institutions. This requires PhD candidates to acquire the skill of making research accessible through policy reports and presentations to policymakers and other actors. In this workshop, PhD candidates will gain insight into policy analysis and report writing, as well as the dissemination of material to policymakers. Furthermore, candidates will receive career advice and learn about different perspectives on the work of think-tanks, government organizations, and international institutions.
The workshop is organized by the Swedish Institute of International Affairs as part of the Graduate School in Asian Studies.
Current PhD students, and those who have graduated within the past year, with a focus on contemporary East and South-East Asia and based at a Swedish University are welcome to apply. If you are interested in participating in the workshop, please fill in the form below no later than June 15.
What is UI?
The Swedish Institute of International Affairs (UI) is an independent institute based in Stockholm and a platform for research and information on international relations and foreign policy. UI’s research activities are conducted within four research programs, including the Asia Programme, and two national competence centers, including the Swedish National China Centre (NKK).
Location: UI, Swedish Defence University, Drottning Kristinas väg 37, Stockholm.
Date: 5 December 2023.
- Morning sessions (9:15 - 12:00)
- Presentation of UI and its work.
- Communicating research to policymakers and others.
- Career advice on work outside of academia.
Working lunch, includingpresentation (12:00 - 13:00)
- Afternoon session (13.30 - 16:00)
- The role and process of policy reports.
- Examples of different types of policy reports.
- Introduction to UI’s different platforms for policy reports (, UI Brief, UI Paper, NKK Report, NKK Brief, NKK Commentary, NKK PM, Utrikesmagasinet).
- How to transform research into policy-relevant writing: brainstorming and practical tips.
- Evening (18:00 – 20:00)
- Dinner with guests from UI.
About the event
Date of workshop
5 December 2023
UI, Swedish Defence University, Drottning Kristinas väg 37, Stockholm
marina [dot] svensson [at] ace [dot] lu [dot] se (Marina Svensson)